Tuesday 13 January 2015

Toast for Every Meal. Am I Onto Something?

My last 5 main meals were a variation of toast. I shit you not. It appears that I am officially in a food rut.

In case you're not quite sure what I'm getting at, let me break it down for you.

YESTERDAY
Breakfast - two slices of toast with cheese and tomato, open grilled
Lunch - two toasted sandwiches filled with cheese, tomato and lettuce (eaten about an hour apart)
Dinner - two slices of toast with cheesy Vegemite

TODAY
Breakfast - one slice of toast with cheese and tomato, open grilled
Lunch - one toasted sandwich filled with cheese, tomato and lettuce

WHAAAAAAAT?

Firstly, let's acknowledge the reduction in quantity today vs yesterday. I think we can all agree I deserve some sort of award for that.

Other than that small achievement, I do believe this meal plan is an eyebrow-raising cross between totally awesome and concerning. It's awesome because it's delicious. And it includes both tomatoes and lettuce, so I'm ticking off some impressive food groups.

It's concerning because, well, let's see. It's:


  • NOT high on the nutritious scale
  • high in carbs (I didn't even tell you it was the devil's white bread)
  • low in protein
  • a bad example for my kids (not that they witnessed each meal, but still...)
  • counterproductive to my goal of eating better in 2015
So why do it? Again, this:


Freaking beautiful

It's yum and it's easy. Making a salad takes time. All that washing and chopping and slicing. It's overrated. I do like a good salad and usually you would see at least one on my "last 5 meals" review list. But the last couple of days,  I just couldn't be arsed. Perhaps it's all the fuss of food over Christmas that sent me spinning into this simple bread-fest. Perhaps it's just sheer laziness. I don't know. All I do know is, the madness has to stop.

By writing this blog post, I guess I have self-shamed and in turn encouraged myself to eat something for dinner that is NOT toast.

I think I feel a pizza coming on......


Do you ever find yourself in a food rut?




No comments:

Post a Comment