Thursday 21 May 2015

This Old Cabinet Gets a Gorgeous Coastal Makeover

Back in January, I showed you my coffee-table makeover success story. To be fair, it was my dad   who did the work, sanding, painting, varnishing to achieve a lovely coastal look:


It brightened up the lounge room, creating the impression our furniture had been chosen and not just randomly acquired.  Of course it's beauty is hidden most of the time under a pile of kid's drawings, toys, textas with ill-matched lids and the occasional coat hanger, but you can't have everything, right?

Happy with the result, Dad stepped up again and agreed to take on another piece of furniture, this time a small cabinet:



Stain and wax had previously been used on the cabinet and Dad really had a hard time sanding back the top,  particularly in the grooves on the edges.

Luckily, the chalk paint went onto the cabinet without  any need to sand it - by far the biggest benefit of this paint.


We applied the white chalk paint to the bulk of the cabinet, leaving the top in it's natural wood state. I rubbed back the chalk paint in some areas to give a  distressed look. Dad then applied a gloss varnish over the whole piece.

The varnish was a little tricky. We actually did this back in January. Dad was pressed for time, it was extremely humid and the result wasn't great. We also applied the varnish with a brush which caused some dripping and pooling.

So on a more recent stay, Dad gave it all a sand and repainted it. I rubbed it back again and we then reapplied the varnish. This time it was cold and wet, so it still had trouble drying but I think that was better than the humidity. We used a foam pad to apply the varnish this time  and I really recommend that tool if you're having a crack at something similar. This is the final result:





















I'd like to replace the handles with some coloured ones, probably blue, but that will be one day when I get around to it.

I'm considering tackling the dining table next and maybe the chest of drawers in my bedroom. I wonder when Dad's coming to visit again?

So what do you think? Are you a fan of this look?


No comments:

Post a Comment